Half pints of raspberries were on sale for $0.99 a couple of weeks ago. I stocked up and decided to get creative. Since I had white and milk chocolate remaining from my strawberries, I gave these double chocolate covered raspberries a try.
A batch of about twenty of these little goodies came in at around $3.50 (accounting for only chocolate used). They require a little bit of patience, but the reward is oh so good!
Hint: for a delicious ooey-gooey center, freeze the raspberries before preparing; too, the chocolate will stick more easily when dipping.
This goes to show that decadence does not have to be expensive!
Double Chocolate Covered Raspberries (makes approx. 20)
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 pint fresh raspberries – washed, dried and frozen
1. Fill a medium saucepan with a couple inches of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low or a simmer.
2. Set the white chocolate chips, placed either in a heatproof bowl or a small nonstick pan, above the simmering water. Allow the chocolate to melt (about 5 minutes).
3. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
4. Dip a raspberry, top first, into the white chocolate until the top half is covered. Set on paper/pan. Repeat with remaining raspberries. Set for 30 minutes. (Hint: have a spoon handy, as white chocolate can be tricky.)
5. Melt the milk chocolate. Holding the top of the white chocolate covered raspberry, dip into the milk chocolate. Set each on its side.
6. Allow 30 minutes for the milk chocolate set. Place in the refrigerator.