These decadent chocolate-dipped treats can be so expensive at sweet shops and bakeries. But surprise – they are actually very affordable to make. A batch of about twenty chocolate-dipped strawberries comes in at around a whopping $4.50 (accounting for only chocolate used); that’s about the price of two pieces at a specialty shop.
I prepared a batch for dinner with friends last night and they were an instant hit. They’re easy to assemble, affordable, require only three ingredients and look so pretty (though I need to perfect my drizzling technique).
Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries (makes approx. 20)
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet (or milk) chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries, washed and dried
1. Fill a medium saucepan with a couple inches of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low or a simmer.
2. Set the semi-sweet chocolate chips, placed either in a heatproof bowl or a smaller pan, above the simmering water. Allow the chocolate to melt (about 5 minutes).
3. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper (I used tin foil).
4. Holding a strawberry by the stem, twist into the chocolate until it is covered. Set on paper/pan. Repeat.
5. Melt the white chocolate. With a fork drizzle the chocolate on the strawberries.
6. Allow 30 minutes for the chocolate to set. Place pan in the refrigerator.
Just a couple pointers/notes: I have only the supplies to melt one chocolate at a time, and this is reflected in the recipe above. Too, after washing and drying the strawberries I recommend placing them in the freezer for a couple of minutes to harden before dipping in chocolate. Lastly, you can eye the proportions and be perfectly fine.